Thursday, October 22, 2009

Division by Zero: A Poem

Disclaimer: I haven't written poetry in over 13 years, and I wasn't any good at it back then either.


Division by Zero

I have a proof that two equals one.
It's mathematical.
No, it's mathtastical.

I use it to challenge the students.
They'll check the algebra,
and question the logic.

But the secret should be obvious,
Division by zero.

Reflections

Timed writing and poetry as a pedagogical exercise helped me to reflect on how difficult mathematics may be for some children, since poetry and "free writing" are some of my weakest skills. Aside from putting me outside of my comfort zone, I do not see this as an effective tool for teaching mathematics or sciences, but I am open to further interpretation of this exercise by others.

No comments:

Post a Comment